This program is housed under the Division of Non-communicable Diseases. The disease burden caused by NCDs in Kenya is fuelled by adoption of unhealthy lifestyles whose magnitude and impact on NCDs has not been documented hitherto appropriately. Has two nutritionists attached to this unit. The main objective is to address issues related to Major NCD prevention and Control (Diabetes, Cancer, cardiovascular diseases and related complications). This includes the major risk factors for non-communicable diseases; Unhealthy diets, Physical inactivity, tobacco use and alcohol abuse. It also addresses other emerging issues like childhood obesity, health and aging and diet and physical activity
- Diabetes training guide manual.
- Conducting a Nationwide survey on the risk factors on NCDs (STEPwise Survey)
- Development and launching of a NCD strategic plan in Kenya ( Healthy diet is prominently covered as a major risk factor to be addressed). Find it in the link
- Development and launching of the Community health workers training curriculum
- Mobilization of resources (From WHO) to develop guidelines on health and aging
- Conduct mass media campaigns on prevention and control of NCDs
- Development of a comprehensive training curriculum on NCDs